ArtscelebrityFashionLifestyle

In Pics: Museum of Fine Arts resumes online exhibition

CAIRO – 1 April 2020: The Museum of Fine Arts in Alexandria resumed its online activities as part of the initiative “Stay home, we’ll bring the museum to you” for the second week in a row.
The e-initiative is an interactive step for art enthusiasts, where the museum's paintings are exhibited on the museum’s official Facebook page. This initiative comes to support the state’s plan to confront the COVID-19 pandemic.
The museum started to display a selection of its most important holdings in the "Online Museum", which are oil paintings of the Adham Brothers and Saif Wanli.
A comprehensive exhibition of the work of Adham Wanli was held in the museum on March 30, 1961 after his demise in 1959. The exhibition featured 186 oil paintings, 123 ballet and theater paintings, in addition to 100 bullfighting, dancers and cartoons' paintings in 12 of the museum’s halls.
The Wanli Brothers' paintings portrayed Saif and Adham as two plastic artists who were born and lived in Alexandria.
They were the most prominent artists of the second generation in Egypt, where Seif was born in 1906 and died 1979, and Adham was born in 1908 and died in 1959. They were distinguished for their exceptional talent of drawing and coloring.
They first studied in the studio of Hungarian artist Julia Palent and then in the studio of the Italian Autorino Becki.
The Wanli Brothers became famous for illustrating the daily life in Alexandria, drawing a variety of topics, the most important being the circus, theater, ballet and various sports.
They are known for their creativity, as they took Egyptian art out of its well-known stereotypes, adding a lot to it, and therefore, they left a prominent mark on the international level.
In the second week, the museum displayed the artwork of Henri Alfred Marie Jacquemart, a famous French sculptor who was born in Paris 1824 and died in 1896. Khedive Ismail commissioned him to make a statue of his grandfather Mohammad Ali Pasha; the statue was completed in 1872.
The statue was displayed for a month on the Champs-Elysées in Paris, and then moved to Alexandria to be installed on a base designed by the famous architect Ambroise Bodry, at an official ceremony on December 19, 1872.
1134062_0
Part of the exhibited paintings – ET
1134064_0
1134065_0
1134067_0
1134066_0
1134059_0
Also read

Museum of Fine Arts displays belongings of French sculptor Dalou

CAIRO – 30 March 2020: The Fine Arts Museum called on citizens to stay at home, commenting: "Stay at home and we will bring you the museum" on the museum's official Facebook page. This comes in an attempt to combat the coronavirus pandemic.



Loading...
Close